As patients move towards receiving convenient care in their own homes, the demand for home infusion therapy has grown. CMS has responded by creating a bundled payment for home infusion therapy services and requiring suppliers of these services to be accredited by a CMS approved accredited organization.
The rapid development of this channel for specialty pharmacy and CMS’ bundled payment reform has driven the need for accreditation standards to support home infusion suppliers with a commitment to quality improvement, accountability, consumer protection and safe patient care.
URAC’s Home Infusion Therapy Supplier Accreditation standards cover practice management, consumer safety, complete care services, and practice standards, guidelines, and protocols.
The URAC-accredited home infusion therapy supplier:
- Handles specialized, complex pharmaceutical and/or nutritional products by managing infusion therapy plans
- Provides clinical assessment and ongoing monitoring of patients in their homes or other alternative ambulatory care sites
- Maintains ongoing monitoring and important consumer safety protections associated with infusible therapies consistent with CMS regulations
- Encourages coordinated patient care via a multidisciplinary team, with comprehensive assessments and care planning
- Provides patient & caregiver education, and reports on adverse events
- Has policies and procedures in place to ensure consumers have access to appropriate drugs/medications/nutritional products.
- And more.
Pharmacy-based home infusion suppliers in good standing located in the United States that are already URAC-accredited for Specialty Pharmacy or are currently seeking URAC Specialty Pharmacy accreditation are encouraged to apply during the early adopter period.