Independent Medical Examination (IME) provides an important opinion of medical necessity and appropriateness for many cases. Recognizing the importance of IME services and aiming to continuously improve health care quality, URAC developed an IME Accreditation program. The accreditation shows an organization’s commitment to excellent, objective assessment of medical conditions.
The program provides a roadmap to ensure organizations meet regulatory requirements in a dynamic environment, as well as validating other vital markers of quality such as the organization’s independence, the competencies of its examiners, and its commitment to consumer protection.
The URAC accreditation seal marks an organization as going beyond regulatory compliance in its IME operations to represent its commitment to excellence in its services to purchasers, patients and providers.
URAC’s IME Accreditation is intended for organizations that focus exclusively on the performance of independent medical examinations and record reviews, which are predominantly conducted in workers’ compensation cases. Independent Review Organizations (IRO) that provide IME services may also seek URAC recognition through the IRO Accreditation program.
A URAC-accredited IME:
- Shows consistency with state and federal regulations
- Demonstrates organizational commitment to currently accepted best practice standards to improve quality of health care and/or services delivered
- Can satisfy contractual requirements
- Differentiates its organization as more competitive in business growth opportunities
- Uses the accreditation process as a roadmap to ensure leaders, managers, and staff are well-aligned
- Exhibits Strong organizational culture
- Recruits and retains a strong and talented workforce
- Supports the effective and efficient use of resources
Who may apply?
URAC’s IME Accreditation is intended for US-based organizations that focus exclusively on the performance of independent medical examinations and record reviews.
Organizations that provide both IME and IRO services may also seek URAC recognition through the IRO Accreditation program.