Better Prepared for Clinical Care
The world of specialty pharmacy is simultaneously complex, expensive and dynamic. As patients benefit from the growth of specialty pharmaceuticals—now approaching nearly half of pharma spending in the U.S.—specialty pharmacies are tasked with making the best decisions for patients as well as meeting the requirements of providers, payors, manufacturers, distributors, PBMs, regulatory agencies and other retail or specialty pharmacies.
Hub pharmacies are increasingly at the center of this ecosystem, playing an essential role as the interface between the stakeholders who need to contain costs while ensuring high quality patient care. Typically, hub pharmacies closely work with affiliated partner pharmacies that provide clinical and dispensing services, but they can be responsible for a wide range of outsourced offerings such as:
- Patient support programs to include initial assessments and reassessments, triage to a specialty pharmacy, quick start services, clinical intervention analysis and patient education and compliance
- Benefits and reimbursement services
- Regulatory and REMS requirements
- Distribution services, which frequently has strict storage and shipment requirements
- Data collection and reporting
Hub specialty pharmacies are the ideal candidate for Specialty Pharmacy Services Accreditation, which will assure stakeholders that your organization meets the highest quality standards. While affiliated partner pharmacies generally pursue the related Specialty Pharmacy Services Accreditation, each accreditation is separate, and neither is a requirement of the other.
Both accreditations address standards related to risk management, consumer protection, operations and infrastructure and performance monitoring, but Specialty Pharmacy Services Accreditation has a focus on patient service and communication and there are no measures reporting.
Our team of experts works collaboratively with yours to achieve many benefits, including:
- Provides a valued credential of quality that demonstrates your organizational high standards and exceptional capabilities
- Documents a consistent, optimized experience that focuses on patient management, patient services and communication performance
PLUS FIVE more benefits:
- Elevates contracting power, credibility, and differentiation over competitors as payers and stakeholders are assured of organizational competency
- Provides a practical roadmap for ongoing improvement with operational and clinical infrastructure, processes and efficiencies
- Delivers risk management peace-of-mind with standards that prevent, protect and manage liabilities
- Inspires innovation through a non-prescriptive approach that support your specific business and clinical practices
- Validates compliance with all state and federal regulations, licensing and other regulatory requirements
- Helps you stay informed of breaking industry trends
Learn more about Specialty Pharmacy Accreditation
What to Expect
In as little as six months, URAC will collaborate with your team to create a flexible framework for continuous improvement without prescribing how to meet those standards. URAC’s approach stimulates innovation across the continuum of care through email, conference calls and educational webinars.
We award accreditation for a full three years and we require annual reporting of quality measures.
Who May Apply
To apply, an organization must be a licensed pharmacy in good standing with a unique tax ID, operating in the United States. In addition, the organization must provide support service functions for their licensed specialty pharmacies partners, who also must be in good standing and operate in the U.S.