Medication at the Point of Care
Physician dispensing is an important component of the care delivery system, particularly for patients with chronic or debilitating disease that require specialty medications administered by the physician. By dispensing medication at the point of care, physicians can offer immediate intervention and consultation, thereby improving patient medication adherence. Prescribing providers can also schedule timely follow up to monitor ongoing compliance, dosage adjustments and side effects.
Recognizing the pivotal role of physician-led care, URAC launched a Specialty Physician Practice Dispensing (SPPD) Accreditation program.
THE URAC Difference
Achieving SPPD Accreditation validates physician dispensing abilities by the country’s undisputed leader in pharmacy accreditation. With more than half of our 1,000 clients earning accreditation or designation under our Pharmacy Quality Management® suite, only URAC offers such vast experience supporting specialty medication dispensing programs.
By leveraging our comprehensive Specialty Pharmacy standards for the SPPD program, we enable physician practices to document that their dispensing capabilities are equal to those of accredited specialty pharmacies. URAC’s SPPD Accreditation standards include the same focus areas as the Specialty Pharmacy program:
- Risk Management
- Consumer Protection and Empowerment
- Operations and Infrastructure
- Performance Monitoring and Improvement
- Physician Practice Operations
- Physician Practice Product Handling and Security
- Patient Services and Communication
- Reporting Performance Measures to URAC
- Patient Management
Benefits of Accreditation
URAC accreditation provides a valued credential of quality that demonstrates your organization’s high standards and exceptional operations. Additionally, URAC accreditation:
- Substantiates your efforts to increase medication adherence and compliance and improve the quality of care
- Differentiates your practice and elevates it over competitors as Pharmacy Benefit Management organizations, insurers and other payers are assured of organizational competency to dispense medications
- Helps you enhance the patient experience by improving satisfaction and meeting best practice standards for excellent therapy management and consultation, monitoring, confidentiality and security
- Helps you gain critical network access and potentially increase revenue and profitability
- Provides a practical roadmap for ongoing improvement with operational and clinical infrastructure, processes and efficiencies
- Verifies compliance with state and federal regulations, licensing and other regulatory requirements
- Delivers risk management peace-of-mind with standards that prevent, protect and manage liabilities
What to Expect
Within six months or less, we will collaborate with your physician practice to create a flexible framework for continuous improvement in medication dispensing. While our experts define the dispensing standards of excellence, they do not prescribe how you must meet those standards.
We offer you a comprehensive and flexible accreditation program that helps you drive efficiencies and improve patient outcomes while inspiring innovation. This way, we prepare you to meet obligations now and map a path to help you thrive.
URAC awards SPPD Accreditation for a full three years and requires annual reporting of quality measures.
Who May Apply
To be eligible, an organization must have the capability to dispense medication directly from a physician’s office pursuant to a medication order. You must also be in good standing with a unique tax ID, operating in the United States.
You can review the Standards-at-a-Glance for more information.