A hospital’s website has always been important for communication, but the pandemic has escalated their use as the primary gateway for patients to learn about hospital services and medical conditions. Accreditation helps hospitals ensure high quality content as well as advanced privacy, and security.
- Lois Elia, System VP, Advocate Aurora Health
The URAC accreditation seal is a symbol of quality in health information on the Internet. Organizations that achieve Health Web Site Accreditation demonstrate their voluntary commitment to providing quality health information and meeting high standards for information delivery.
Key areas that are reviewed include: privacy and security; health content editorial processes; disclosure of financial relationships; linking policies and notice about the links you choose; and consumer complaints.
The URAC-accredited health web site:
- Has an editorial policy that identifies the author and/or reviewer
- Does not make claims of therapeutic effect without competent and reliable scientific evidence that supports the claim
- Does not knowingly publish health content, including advertising and sponsored content) that contains either false or misleading claims, or promotes ineffective or dangerous products
- Clearly distinguishes between paid advertising and website editorial content
- Protects personal information that consumers provide, and does not collect personal health information without asking for consent
- Provides specified levels of security procedures
- Has a conflict of interest policy for the editorial team and all authors of health content that’s easy for users to find
- Involves a quality oversight committee to evaluate and choose sites with which to link
- And more.
Download our Health Web Site Standards-at-a-Glance.
Who may apply?
Companies, including health plans, hospitals and publishers, with a website containing health information may apply.
Everyone is concerned about the security and accuracy of their electronic health information. Health Website Accreditation from URAC satisfies both concerns by certifying that every important performance benchmark is met and exceeded.”
- WebMD Health Services