As the healthcare system transitions to value-based payment models, pharmacists and pharmacies are becoming increasingly vital members of the patient management team.
The role of specialty pharmacies, which serve patients with complex, chronic diseases, is even more critical to patient outcomes – ultimately driving financial outcomes.
URAC’s Specialty Pharmacy Accreditation helps specialty pharmacies position themselves and demonstrate their value in delivering these specialized clinical services. Many payers and manufacturers recognize the URAC Specialty Pharmacy Accreditation as a key differentiator and independent validation of quality – often including this accreditation as a requirement to participate in their network.
The URAC-accredited specialty pharmacy:
- Provides therapy-specific patient management services
- Promotes safety and accuracy in dispensing practices
- Qualifies all medication distribution processes for appropriate temperature ranges
- Provides 24/7 patient and prescriber support
- Complies with foundational standards on risk management, consumer empowerment, and performance management
- Reports annual performance measures to URAC
Who may apply
An organization must be a licensed pharmacy in good standing, operating in the U.S. A Specialty Pharmacy provides for dispensing of specialty medications and provision of patient management services.
Check out our Small Specialty Pharmacy Offering guidelines here.