Benefits of Accreditation
Accreditation indicates you have undergone a rigorous external review of your IME program components, ensuring clients they will receive accurate, trustworthy decisions backed by comprehensive, evidence-based review. With URAC IME Accreditation, you provide value to patients as well as your contracted partners including insurance carriers, self-insured employers and third-party administrators through:
- Third-party validation that your high-quality program offers a truly independent, fair, unbiased recommendation that does not tip the scale toward the patient nor payer, eliminating potential conflicts of interest
- Thorough policies, procedures and documentation that reduce the administrative burdens of claims or disability disputes
- The ability to help control medical costs and, for employers, potential lost productivity
- Risk management oversight and review protocols that reduce client liabilities, enhance data security and ensure regulatory compliance
- A blueprint for ongoing operational efficiency and program improvement
What to Expect
Within six months or less, we will collaborate with your team to create a flexible framework for continuous improvement. While our experts define the standards of excellence, they do not prescribe how organizations must meet those standards. URAC’s thorough approach stimulates innovation across the continuum of care through email, conference calls and educational webinars.
Review our Independent Medical Examination Standards-at-a-Glance for more information.
Who May Apply
URAC’s three-year IME Accreditation is intended for organizations that focus exclusively on the performance of independent medical examinations and record reviews, which are predominantly conducted for workers’ compensation cases.
Independent Review Organizations (IRO) that provide IME services may also seek URAC recognition through the IRO Accreditation program.