Better Prepared Specialty Pharmacies
More than 90 percent of the 7,000 known rare diseases have no approved therapy. Advances in science offer real hope to patients, as well as significant opportunities for specialty pharmacies. To support and recognize the high level of skills required to serve these patients, URAC, the nation’s leading health care accreditation authority, offers its Rare Disease Pharmacy Center of Excellence Designation to organizations that can rise to this challenge.
An addition to URAC’s popular Specialty Pharmacy Accreditation, this designation demonstrates to patients, manufacturers and providers the recipient’s continued commitment to attain and maintain the highest level of professional standards. This unique designation was developed with the input of rare disease experts to ensure the distinction reflects current and proven best practices.
Rigorous program standards address patient management, staff education, coordinated patient care and care transitions to deliver numerous benefits:
- Demonstrates your more customized and high-touch approach to coordinated, compassionate patient care
- Provides stringent storage and handling protocols to address the demands of sometimes delicate and expensive rare disease medications
- Confirms comprehensive data reporting processes to meet intricate reporting requirements
PLUS 5 more benefits:
- Elevates contracting power, credibility and differentiation over competitors as payers and stakeholders are assured of organizational competency
- Provides a practical roadmap for ongoing improvement with operational and clinical infrastructure, processes and efficiencies
- Delivers risk management peace-of-mind with standards that prevent, protect and manage liabilities
- Inspires innovation through a non-prescriptive approach that support your specific business and clinical practices
- Validates compliance with all state and federal regulations, licensing and other regulatory requirements
What to Expect
Over the course of six months or less, URAC will collaborate with your team to create a flexible framework for continuous improvement without prescribing how to meet those standards. URAC’s approach stimulates innovation across the continuum of care through email, conference calls and web conferencing.
Who May Apply
To apply, an organization must be a licensed pharmacy in good standing, operating in the United States, must hold or be seeking URAC’s Specialty Pharmacy, Specialty Pharmacy Services, or Specialty Physician Practice Dispensing Accreditations and must treat patients taking an orphan medication (a medication without any non-orphan indications). The designation is in addition to these accreditations and will be valid only while the organization actively holds these accreditations.